As of early 2016, E-Beira is back with more modern software. The new site is similar in layout to the previous one, but there are considerable differences in the way it works, some subtle and some not. Below are some of the key points that might affect your experience with the site.
- If you are a registered user of E-Beira, your login details should continue to work as before. However, you need to log in to the new site as soon as possible in order to keep your password; any user who does not log in once in the upcoming month or so will need to request a new password.
- Your concelho (location), as registered on the old site, is no longer in use. Instead we have a nice modern mapping system (part of your user profile) that allows you to place a pointer on the map to indicate where you are. Indicating your location is useful, perhaps even essential, if you are placing ads – because users like to know how far they will have to travel to pick up purchases, etc. So I encourage you to put a pointer on the map – but also advise pointing to a nearby point such as a village centre or a road junction so as to avoid privacy issues. Other users of the site will be able to see the map pointer you provide.
- Portuguese support is more limited than before. I hope we can improve this over the coming weeks.
- If you have ads on the site that were posted within the past three months, they will remain. All older ads (which should have expired anyway, in most cases) have been deleted. All ads transferred to the new site will now have the standard expiry of 30 days. (They will expire around March 25th 2016.) You should receive an email in advance of each ad expiring, and unlike the old site you will still have access to expired ads for a certain period after they expire.
- Responding to ads is now much easier – logged-in users can send a reply directly from the ad page. Just scroll to the bottom of an ad and fill in the email form!
- The events calendar is more flexible. You can now post your own events. You can put up events that repeat weekly or monthly, but they will not go out in the weekly email.
- Like, share, and send email! There are new buttons on many pages, including ads and events, that allow you to share them with others on Facebook or by Email. You can also do a Facebook 'Like'. Go ahead and spread the word about E-Beira – the more the ads and events are shared, the more people will see them!